Sunday, September 18, 2016

Exploration and Experimentation: Complines

Here is an invitation to explore and experiment with some Christian practices of devotion that you may not be that familiar with. It doesn’t matter your denomination or background; you can have a go. If you don’t officially class yourself as a Christ follower, perhaps you find yourself undecided on the whole thing, this could be a really meaningful experiment as a part of your journey. Have a read. Have a go. 

At St Luke’s (the church I pastor) we’re exploring some of the ways that people throughout history have outworked their faith in God. Particularly we are reflecting on Christian spirituality, that is; the rhythms, habits, practices and disciplines that have sustained, discipled, encouraged and connected people to God in their journey of following Jesus. These are the kinds of questions we’re considering; how have different people at different times in history engaged in prayer, in fasting, in giving, in worship, in confession, in service, in contemplation etc? How have Christians at different times organised their “devotional life”? Has it always been three chapters of the bible, Radio Rhema’s Word for the Day, and then some sort of S.O.A.P exercise? (Scripture, observation, application and prayer). What other options are there?

I’m convinced that exploration and experimentation with devotional practices new or unfamiliar to us, has the potential to help us connect with God in different ways. There are no guarantees but perhaps some of the practices that traditionally sit outside of classical Pentecostal/Charismatic spirituality might offer fresh ways of embracing God and being embraced by God. Maybe they could even turn out to be transformational. 

This week the invitation is to engage in St Basil’s 4th Century practice of a daily compline. Well, truthfully debate surrounds the origins of the compline with some thinking it originated in the 6th Century with St Benedict. Either way, the compline is a fairly ancient practice.  


In monastic life time is divided in a number of ways. The seasons of the year play a large part in the life of the monastery with husbandry a significant part of monastic life. Likewise, the seasons of the church calendar (also known as the liturgical calendar) shape life in the monastery as well. Organised around the life of Christ the liturgical calendar offers feasts, fasts, celebrations and lamentations for various occasions throughout the year. On a day to day basis though, the canonical hours, as outlined in the Book of Hours, serve to set the rhythm of the day. Rather than get into all the details of the Book of Hours, it’s enough here to say that “compline” was the final organised service of prayer and reflection in the day. Monks would gather together for the prayers of the compline late in the evening and then retire to sleep. Normally the compline served as the transition into The Great Silence of the night were both the monastic community and visitors would observe silence until the morning service of the new day.

These days, as well as being used in monasteries, complines are often used on retreats as a way of bringing to a close the activities of the day and preparing people for sleep. Some families use complines as a way of transitioning into the silence of night and pray through various complines with their children. Of course they can be used by individuals as well, which is what we’ll be doing.

I’m not sure what your practice is before bed and sleep. Perhaps it differs from evening to evening. In our modern world though many people find that their final moments before bed include television, screen time on phones or tablet devices, video games, checking e-mails, checking Facebook, wading through apps, news updates and so forth. I’ll let you come to your own conclusions on this, but I’d humbly want to suggest that there is perhaps a better way to set ourselves up for rest, stillness, silence and sleep. Perhaps a compline could serve as a healthy alternative and different pattern of engaging in rhythms of rest and rejuvenation.

The prayers in a compline are not lengthy and can be offered in a few short minutes. However, the goal is not to race though the compline in order to get it out of the way. Rather, the goal is to create a rhythm that slows one down, helps one to disengage from the tensions and concerns of the past day, and serves to shift our attention to God.

Instructions on how to engage in a compline are offered below, as well as seven complines, Sunday through Saturday. At the end of a week the idea is to cycle back to the original Monday compline and work through the series again. And again. As you become familiar with the prayers you'll find different ideas and depth of meaning in your reflections from week to week. Of course, if you hunt around on the internet or in various Christian prayer books, you won’t struggle to find other complines that can be used as well. Ideally, it would be good to print these out at the start of the week so that you’re not needing to turn your phone on to read. If you do need to use your phone stay away from Facebook etc. 

Instructions:

My first suggestion would be that you set up some sort of “sacred space” where you can complete the compline (and other practices that will be considering in due course). This need not be a room or anything. It could be your bedside table, a shelf or small table next to a favourite reading chair. It just needs to be a place where you can be still and also a place where you can keep various items you may be using in your exploration of Christian spirituality. You’ll need a scented candle, printouts of the complines (in this instance), and I’d recommend any other icons that serve as a catalyst in creating a moment of Christ centered stillness. Bibles, pictures, other devotionals can be helpful. We’re creatures of habit and association. Couch = watching TV. Bed = sleeping. Table = eating. Reading and reflection chair = reading and reflection. You’ll find it helpful to create a space that is your reflection and connection with God space. Back in the day, the term was a “prayer closet” and for many people, it was literally a dark black closet where they could pray out loud without interruption or concern in regard to disturbing others. I’m more inclined to create a more ascetically pleasing kind of sacred space, but hey, I’m not a "yeller."


You should allow 10 – 15 minutes to complete the compline. You could read the prayers in about 2 minutes but that isn’t the point. The compline is about slowing down. After each portion of prayer or scripture, there is a “Selah” moment where you can pause and reflect.

Compline is the last thing you do before going to sleep. You don’t complete the compline and then hop into bed and check Facebook and your e-mail on your phone. Thus the idea is to have brushed your teeth, locked the doors, put the cat outside, tucked the kids in etc. All that is left is to hop into bed and go to sleep. Having sorted these miscellaneous kinds of things light your candle and turn the lights out. You should be able to complete the compline by the light of a single candle without too much trouble. The candle also serves as a symbol of the last light of the day, a diminishing light as rest and sleep beckon.

For the first few minutes simply be still. Practice sitting in silence and stilling you mind. Aim for a sense of contemplative stillness. There is an art to this which is a discussion for another day, but one of the best things to do is “breathe prayerfully.” That is, make each breath in a prayer of thanks for the breath of God that gives you breath and animates all life. Make each breath out a prayer of surrender to the wonder of God.

When one feels suitably still begin reading through the compline. Don’t rush, take your time. At each “Selah” pause and reflect before moving on.

When the compline has been completed extinguish the candle, symbolic of the day coming to an end and retire to bed. Sleep well.

Sunday Compline

The Sacred Three
Father, Spirit, Son
to save
to shield
to surround
our house
this home
this night
and every night.

Selah.

Search me, O God, and know my heart.
Test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me
and lead me instead in your everlasting way.

Selah.

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all who labour and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Selah.

Let the peace of the Spirit be mine tonight.
Let the peace of the Son be mine tonight.
Let the peace of the Father be mine tonight.
In peace will I lie down for it is You, O Lord,
You alone who makes me rest secure.

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.

Monday Compline

Jesus, Son of the living God,
Let your Spirit guard my sleep tonight.
Watch over me as I rest,
Be present with me in the silence.
May the virtue of my daily work
Make holy my nightly prayers.
May my sleep be deep and easy
That my work might be fresh and true.

Selah.

Psalm 139:17-18
How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
    They cannot be numbered!
I can’t even count them;
    they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
    you are still with me!

Selah.

O God, your unfailing providence sustains the world we live in and the life we live. Watch over those, both night and day, who work while others sleep, and grant that we may never forget that our common life depends upon each other's toil; through Jesus Christ our Lord. 

Selah.

May the peace of all peace be mine this night,
May the presence of Christ make me whole,
Christ my shield,
Christ my portion,
Christ my king,
Christ my saviour,
Christ my rock,
Christ my treasure,
Christ my triumph.

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.

Tuesday Compline

O God, and Spirit, and Jesu
the Three,
from the crown of my head,
O Trinity,
to the soles of my feet
mine offering be.
Come I unto Thee, O Jesu, my King,
O Jesu, do Thou be my sheltering.

Selah.

As the bridegroom to his chosen,
as the king unto his realm,
as the keep unto the castle,
as the pilot to the helm,
so, Lord, art Thou to me.

Selah.

Psalm 91:1-7
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
    will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
    he is my God, and I trust him.
For he will rescue you from every trap
    and protect you from deadly disease.
He will cover you with his feathers.
    He will shelter you with his wings.
    His faithful promises are your armour and protection.
Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
    nor the arrow that flies in the day.
Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
    nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
Though a thousand fall at your side,
    though ten thousand are dying around you, 
these evils will not touch you. 


Selah.

As the music at the banquet,
as the stamp unto the seal,
as the medicine to the fainting,
as the wine-cup at the meal,
so, Lord, art Thou to me.

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.

Wednesday Compline

Calm me, O Lord, as You stilled the storm.
Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm.
Let all the tumult within me cease.
Enfold me, Lord, in Your peace.

Selah.

Father, bless the work that is done
and the work that is to be.
Father, bless the servant that I am
and the servant that I will be.

Selah.

Almighty God, our heavenly Father:
We have sinned against you,
through our own fault,
in thought, and word, and deed,
and in what we have left undone.
For the sake of your Son our Lord Jesus Christ,
forgive us all our offenses;
and grant that we may serve you
in newness of life,
to the glory of your Name.
Grant us forgiveness of all our sins,
and the grace and comfort of the Holy Spirit.
Amen
.

Selah.

The peace of God
be over me to shelter me,
under me to uphold me,
about me to protect me,
behind me to direct me,
ever with me to save me.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.

Thursday Compline

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone:
my hope comes from him.
I will lie down and sleep.
I wake again,
because the Lord sustains me.
By day the Lord directs his love;
at night His song I with me.
be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the Lord.

Selah.

May God be in my sleep;
may Christ be in my dreams.
May the Spirit be in my repose,
in my thoughts, in my heart.
In my soul always
may the Sacred Three dwell.

Selah.

Matthew 6:9-13
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom and the power,
and the glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Selah.

Sleep, O sleep in the calm of each calm.
Sleep, O sleep in the guidance of all guidance.
Sleep, O sleep in the love of all loves.
Sleep, O sleep in the Lord of life.
Sleep, O sleep in the God of life.

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.

Friday Compline

I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.   

Selah.

I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.
Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.
Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of Your wings.

Selah.

Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through the hours
of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and
chances of this life may rest in your eternal changelessness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Selah.

Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may we rest in His peace.

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.

Saturday Compline

Keep watch, dear Lord,
Over those who work, or watch, or weep this night.
Let your Spirit, dear Lord,
Be near to those who sleep.
Tend the sick, Lord Christ;
give rest to the weary,
bless the dying,
soothe the suffering,
pity the afflicted,
shield the joyous;
all for your love's sake.
Amen
Selah.

Look down, O Lord, from your heavenly throne, and
illumine this night with your celestial brightness; that by
night as by day your people may glorify your holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Selah.

I love you, O Lord my strength.
The Lord is my rock,
my fortress and deliverer.
My God is my rock
in whom I take refuge.
I will praise the Lord who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me.
Because He is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

Selah.

May God shield me;
may God fill me;
may God keep me;
may God watch me;
may God guide me;
may God restore me;
may God bring me this night
to the nearness of His love.

Selah.

Lord Almighty grant a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

Selah.







No comments: